Saturday 12 July 2008

The Dali Experience

Wednesday, July 9














(source)


http://www.countyhallgallery.com/exhibitions/dali.htm



We were given an Independent Research Day, but it was rainy and dreary, so I did some unrelated research at the Dali Universe exhibit at the County Hall Gallery on the south bank of the Thames. It was awesome!

Entrance to the exhibit cost £10, but I was handed a £1 off coupon, so I got in for £9. Yeah, I saved a £ (pound)! Upon entering the main doorway, it led to a curve to the left, which contained enlarged photos and prints of Dali, along with a plethora of his quotes staggered down a dark black hallway. The path suddenly turned right to an open gallery space with more light, showcasing many of his drawing, paints, and sculptures, many of erotic design. I noted that some of his work were very intense (emotionally), yet others had very subtle intensity, and others showing varying degrees. All of his pieces were quite psychological, strange, but interesting to the eye.

Some of the quotes in the initial hallway I found interesting included:
- "The least one could ask of a sculpture is that it does not move"
- "Everything alters me, but nothing changes me"
- "I'm in a permanent state of intellectual erection"

And some of the pieces I really enjoyed included:
- Telephone Homard (Lobster Telephone, 1938-78)
- Golden Newton (1968)
- The Profile of Time (1972)
- Space Elephant (1980) -which had an elephant body, giraffe legs, and a large
crystal pyramid on the elephants back
- LeCabinet Anthropomorphique (1982
- Space Venus (1977-84)
- Venus Intersected by Long Drawers (1989)
- The "Alice in Wonderland" series
- The Chain of Spoons (1960-74)
- Venus aux Tiroirs

In this exhibit, I noticed repetitive symbols of:
- Lobster
- Rhinoceros
- Snail
- Time, melted clock
- Venus de Milo
- crutch (supporting stick)

Half-way through the Dali exhibit, I came upon a directional sign that directed the viewers to the floor below for the Picasso exhibit. I was excited when I saw the sign, because I love Picasso. I had a big grin on my face! When i finished viewing the remaining Dali pieces, I headed down the steps and basked in the Picasso exhibit. It incorporated some minor drawings, ceramics, and some obscure "Blue period" paintings that I've never seen before. It was very nice to see these pieces.

When I completed the tour, I walked into a gallery of small Dalli painting/sculpture reproductions which were for sale. I was so tempted to buy a painting priced at £750. In fact, I'm still debating. In US dollars, the price would total $1,500. Next, I stopped in the Cafe for a late lunch which I really didn't care for. Then I walked into the Gift shop, where I purchased a Dali exhibit catalog and almost bought a Dali watch. I may go back to buy one. We'll see!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself viewing this exhibit!

No comments: