Friday, 1 August 2008

British Museum

Saturday, August 2


After a 30 minute back massage in the Gabriel Wharf area, I journeyed on the Northern Line to Tottenham Square Court stop to see both the Petrie Museum of Archaeology and the British Museum. When I arrived at the Petrie Museum, I discovered that it had closed 2 hours earlier at 1 pm. The time was 3:15pm. So, I then walked over to the British Museum, which was about 15 minutes away. When I arrived at the British Museum, there were so many people that I just cringed, but though, "I'm here, so carry on!" I came mainly to see the Egyptian collection again. I saw it both 3 years ago when I planned a 20 year reunion with two friends from Michigan State University, and also 23 years ago when I came over with a Michigan State University Overseas Studies Art Program. It was very nice to see my "favorite things" again at the British Museum. I am such a Egyptophile, or what ever you call one who is fascinated with ancient Egypt. Years ago I had visions of studying Egyptology as a career. I spent about 1.5 hours walking around and gazing at all of the magnificent sculptures and mummies and papyri (oh, my!). I was in my element; I was in Egypt heaven! Future travel plans involve a trip to Egypt and see the actual ruins and pyramids, and related stuff.

Here is a photo of a head fragment from a full-scale monolith sculpture of an Egyptian pharaoh I saw up close.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a digital camera, or I would have included more photos of the awesome Egyptian collection.

Overall, the visit to the British Museum was the “icing on the cake” for my overseas trip. As I was leaving, it struck me that I didn’t see the Rosetta Stone. They must have moved it, because I remember it near the big sculptures last time I visited.

When I the museum, I returned to the tube at Tottenham Court Road and traveled down to Embankment to see Cleopatra’s Needle. It was a sight to behold. But unfortunately, there was scaffolding at the base, so there wasn’t a clear view of the lower part of the obelisk. I did manage to get some segment shots of the Needle. From there, I got back on the tube and returned to the ranch (King’s College dorms).

No comments: